Superfood Spotlight: Spirulina
What is it? Spirulina is a natural algae powder that is incredibly high in protein and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients.
- One of best plant-based sources of iron
- Highest plant-based form of protein (compared to eggs for the amount of protein per gram)
- 26 times more calcium than milk
Favorite Brand: HealthForce Naturals, Spirulina Manna
Kale Zucchini Salad with Spirulina Pesto
(Raw, Vegan, GF)
1 head Kale
1 Med Zucchini
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
2 ripe avocados
½ cup Fresh Basil
¼ Cup Olive Oil
¼ Cup Pine Nuts (can sub cashews)
2 coves garlic
2 Tbsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Sea Salt and Black Pepper to Taste
1. Wash and chop kale into small pieces. Massage with hands using 1 Tbsp olive or avocado oil and 1 tsp sea salt. Massage (with force!) until kale has significantly shrunken in size (usually about 60 seconds)
2. Spiralize zucchini with spiralizer.. Add to kale bowl.
3. Place all ingredients of Petso sauce in food processor or high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Add on top of kale and zucchini.
4. Chop tomatoes to garnish.
5. Optional garnish: crushed red pepper, black pepper, fresh parsley
6. Eat and enjoy. Take a mindful breath between each bite. Truly arrive at each bite.
Spirulina Blueberry Smoothie
(Raw, Vegan, GF)
1/2 Frozen Banana
1 Cup Frozen Wild Organic Blueberries
2 Handfuls Fresh Organic Spinach
3 Tsp Spirulina
1 Tbsp Raw Almond Butter
1 Scoop Vegan Protein Powder
1 Cup Almond Milk or Water
Handful Brocoli Sprouts (optional)
1. Blend everything in high powdered blender.
2. Add more water as needed to blend.
3. Top with fresh fruit, cacao nibs, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, and/or goji berries